Wednesday, July 28, 2004

"A Few Interesting Prison Facts"

Here are a few interesting facts about our prison system:

1.  In 1982, it cost $9 billion to house inmates in local, state, and federal lockups......By 1999 the cost had risen to $49 billion...........................................Therefore, as our nation's prison population grows, so too does the cost of keeping millions of Americans behind bars.

2.  The American Bar Association is asking for an overhaul of mandatory minimum-sentencing laws.  The ABA report offers recommendations that could fix a problem that threatens to turn our democracy into a penal colony.

3.  Last month, ABA President Dennis Archer said: "For more than 20 years, we have gotten tougher on crime.  Now we need to get smarter ... The system is broken.  We need to fix it."

4. Next month, attorneys from around our nation will gather for the ABA'S annual meeting in Atlanta, and the body's House of Delegates will be asked to adopt recommendations that call for the repeal  of federal and state mandatory minimum- sentencing statutes.

5. Ross Alan Milburn, an inmate at the federal prison in Florence, Colorado, says "He's seen too many young men enter the prison with mandatory-minimum sentences, some of them drawing life without parole for non-violent drug crimes."............There is a big difference between the criminal mind of a mass murderer and the mind of a man who engages in and conducts an illegal business," said Milburn about non-violent drug dealers who get mandatory sentences.  "The criminal mind of a drug-dealer is not much different from that of a Wall Street Stockbroker ripping off his clients or a CEO ripping off his company.  But they never get sentenced to life with no parole," Milburn wrote.

6. Milburn says, "I just wanted to rend you that there are some drug dealers who admit their guilt and deserve harsh punishment, but sentencing them to the same time as people like Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, serial killer Gary Ridgeway, and mass-murderer Charles Manson, is unfair."

7. The nation's penal institutions have swelled with offenders who got "one-size fits all" sentences mandated by legislators, not the judges and juries that heard their cases.

8. It is time to rethink a policy that gives out long, mandatory prison sentences to non-violent criminals.

 

Thank you for reading this.  As you go about your daily life, you can thinkabout this.  I was never aware of so many things in the prison system.  In fact, I never really wanted to even think about the prison system....that is, until one day, I met and married a man who had committed a crime....a man, named Jimmy, my husband, whom I fell  in love with.  Then I realized how important it is to read about and to understand the prison system in our country and what is happening.  Thank you again, and please leave your comments......Fran

 

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fran.
It is hard to put myself in your shoes and know what you are going through, but then it is hard for people I know to put their self in my shoes and know what it is like to live with having a daughter on crack cocaine, and at any moment I am expecting the call that will tell me she is dead. People can't help who they love and the circumstances they may find themselves in at any given time. I hope the best for you and your husband, and I hope that when he is released that your life will be happy. I am afraid that prison will be where my daugter ends up, and this is the best thought that I have at this time, for her death is the other thought that consumes me. Sometimes we find ourselves in situations that we never expected to be in and we just do the best we can to deal with it and make it better. It's not that prison is a good thing , or that we want to be involved in a prison situation, but sometimes life just deals out certain cards and we have to play them the best we can. I never thought my beautiful daughter would be selling her body for a 10 dollar crack rock and a six pack of beer and a few zanac. I find myself running all over the place trying to see if she is still alive, just so I can have a nights sleep and be able to work the next day. I have heard people say they live a day at a time, well I live hour to hour with this terrible fear. I pray you will be ok and all will work out for you and your husband. Please pray that my situation will get better also.
Sheila

Anonymous said...

hi! fran i just want you to know that there are others out there that like you myself have been there and done that for me it was for something i did not do but it is hard to change something that you do not know the facts about it's funny that you to are writing something with the same title as my book which i have been working on for over a year now it is titled "reflections" by the way my name is james williams and keep the faith if possiable sometime we have to move on it's been 20 years now and i am home a little more than that but it's hard starting over but i am doing it and you can too take care jwill28499@aol.com

Anonymous said...

This is very sad situation ladies, all can do is shake my head.  I really don't understand how we allow ourselves to get caught up in this mess.  Waiting by the phone, running up the phone bill, taking our young impressionable children to sit in a jail to see "daddy".  The only way I would be supportive of any man in jail is if he was wrongfullly accused.  If by his own will, he went out and committed a crime, that would be the end, and if we have child together, my child would not go to prison to visit him.  Pictures & calls maybe.  We need to set our standards higher.  The same men you write letters to, wait by the phone for and sleep with during conjugal visits, is the same man having sex in those prison showers bring AIDS home to you!  And I don't care what they tell you, you cannot make it out alive unless you have some form of sexual contact in prison!

God Bless & Wake Up

Anonymous said...

This is very sad situation ladies, all can do is shake my head.  I really don't understand how we allow ourselves to get caught up in this mess.  Waiting by the phone, running up the phone bill, taking our young impressionable children to sit in a jail to see "daddy".  The only way I would be supportive of any man in jail is if he was wrongfullly accused.  If by his own will, he went out and committed a crime, that would be the end, and if we have child together, my child would not go to prison to visit him.  Pictures & calls maybe.  We need to set our standards higher.  The same men you write letters to, wait by the phone for and sleep with during conjugal visits, is the same man having sex in those prison showers bring AIDS home to you!  And I don't care what they tell you, you cannot make it out alive unless you have some form of sexual contact in prison!

God Bless & Wake Up

Anonymous said...

The reason that the prison system is costing the American Tax payer a fortune is we are throwing non violent offenders ie. drug offenders into the same system as violent offenders and giving them the same sentences and in some cases longer. There is a problem with the justice system!