Friday, April 2, 2004

April Showers

APRIL SHOWERS BRING MAY FLOWERS!...AND THAT IS JUST WHAT ITS BEEN DOING HERE!...GREY SKIES, DRIZZLING RAIN AND A FEW PEEKS OF THE SUN.  I HOPE TODAY WILL BE SUNNY, SO I CAN GO OUT AND WALK!...I LOVE APRIL...IT SEEMS LIKE THE PERFECT MONTH, AND I DID GET MARRIED IN APRIL....APRIL 29, 2001. JIMMY WAS CHEERFUL TODAY ON THE PHONE.  HE LET ME TALK TO LES, A FELLOW IN-MATE, WHO HAS BEEN THERE FOR 4 YEARS. LES AND I ENJOY WRITING LETTERS TO EACH OTHER.  HE IS CONVERTING TO CATHOLICISM, UNDER JIMMY'S INFLUENCE.  JIMMY TAKES HIM TO MASS WITH HIM EVERY TUESDAY. LES IS STUDYING AND WILL SOON BE CONVERTED.  MIRACULOUS AND WONDERFUL THINGS DO HAPPEN IN PRISON!  THERE IS ALSO ANOTHER INMATE, WHO JIMMY INFLUENCED, AND HE STARTED GOING TO MASS AGAIN AFTER MANY YEARS.  HE, TOO , WILL SOON MAKE HIS CONFIRMATION.  LAST YEAR AT THIS TIME, JIMMY WAS IN THE COUNTY JAIL FOR A FEW WEEKS. I WAS VISITING HIM AT THAT TIME.  HOWEVER, I COULD NOT WAK 5 FEET AT THAT TIME, WITHOUT DOUBLING OVER WITH INTENSE BACK PAIN, SO, A FAMILY FRIEND, CARMINE WOULD BRING ME TO THE JAIL IN A WHEELCHAIR (IT'S AMAZING HOW TODAY, ONE YEAR LATER I CAN WALK 2-3 MILES/DAY).  THE VISITS ARE TERRIBLE!...YOU TALK THROUGH A GLASS PLATE.  NO PHONE. ONLY A SMALL OPENING AT THE BASE OF THE GLASS.  YOU CAN'T HEAR A THING, AND EVERYONE IN THE ROOM IS SHOUTING.  YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH 2 SECURITY CHECKS.  EVERYTHING IS SO BARREN.  ALL METAL. SO STRANGE, LIKE YOU ARE IN ANOTHER WORLD. ALL GREY AND DEPRESSIVE. THE FIRST TIME I SAW JIMMY, I THOUGHT HE WAS SICK. HIS EYES HAD A FAR-AWAY LOOK. TOWARDS THE END OF THE 20 MINUTE VISIT, HE PERKED UP, AFTER SEEING ME. I WAS LATER TOLD THE MEN LOOK LIKE THIS AFTER FIRST BEING LOCKED UP...DEHYDRATION,DEPRESSION, SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR.  WELL, THE NEXT DAY, I MADE EVERY CALL I COULD...SOCIAL WORKER, JAIL MEDICAL UNIT.  THE HEAD NURSE HERSELF REASSURED ME, SHE PERSONALLY WENT TO SEE JIMMY AND HE WAS FINE. WELL, I HAD TO DO IT! I WAS NOT GOING TO SEE MY HUSBAND SICK IN JAIL...NO, I HAD TO HELP HIM!..AND STILL TODAY, JIMMY JOKES WITH ME "HOW I STIRRED UP A RUCKUS IN THAT JAIL ABOUT HIS HEALTH THOSE FIRST FEW DAYS!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello again. :) Thank you so much for all of your sweet comments under your last entry. That means a lot. I am so sorry, but I haven't started a journal online yet. I have been thinking about it, but just haven't done it. Maybe you will inspire me. :) It's raining A LOT here, too...it's definitely SPRING TIME. YIPPEE!! Jimmy has done so much for those men with him in his facility. I am so glad they have him there. (con't)

Anonymous said...

Some time I will tell you how I met my wonderful husband. I met him online, too. :) You take care and just know my prayers are with you and Jimmy and I will continue to pray for you both every day.... with love and care, Gretchen

Anonymous said...

AND...GOOD FOR YOU, stirring up a ruckus!! You are something else! And Jimmy is so blessed to have YOU. PLEEEEEEEEEEZE don't stop writing your journal...I just love reading it and I am sure there are others. And guess what? My wedding anniversary is the same date as yours...April 29! (con't)

Anonymous said...

It is sure a dismal picture that you paint. I will be happy for you and Jim when his release time comes. I know you will relish your time together then. We keep you both in our prayers. Oh, it has been raining here in Vegas for the last three days. My yard is soaked. It is like walking on a sponge. The flowers look great. Bill.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm a new reader... :) I don't know what he's in jail for... as this is the first entry I've written.. but I think I'm going to have to read more. :) My boyfriend is a correctional officer at the county jail. Isn't that ironic? I have been away from him for the whole month except the weekends because they sent him off to the training academy to be state certified. Oh I hate being away from the one I love... I don't know how you're doing it... *hugs* I hope you chat to me sometime. :)
We have stuff in common. My favorite number is 222. Another funny thing! :)

Anonymous said...

been there done that.....i'll pray for you!
http://journals.aol.com/bernmilo/WAYNEATOPICTURES

Anonymous said...

Bill, it is very dismal,and mainly for the visitors.I thought it would be cheerful, but the correctional officers change all that for the visitors,at least where jimmy is.Grettysk,thanx for your encouraging and warm comments.Heart Shine Girl, we certainly do have things in common!  Keeo on reading!...Fran